Here are 10 interesting facts about the platypus, one of the most unusual animals in the world.
1. A platypus looks like it has the body of an otter, the bill and webbed feet of a duck, and the tail of a beaver.
They’re from Australia.
3. Platypuses come out at night. They sleep during the day and move around a lot at night.
4. Every day, they spend up to 12 hours looking for food.
5. Another interesting fact is that platypus’ eyes, nose, and ears are covered when they swim.
6. When they come ashore, their webbed feet pull back to show walking hooks.
Platypuses are about 20 inches long and about 3 pounds heavy.
8. Platypuses that just gave birth are about the size of lima beans.
The platypus is one of only two kinds of warm-blooded animals that lay eggs. The other is an echidna, which is a sharp animal that eats bugs.
10. The platypus is one of only three animals with warm blood that make poison. The loris and the European mole are the other two.